Well this week has been slower, but no less exciting. We painted the ceilings after taking off the popcorn last week. I thought on that day I would be able to pick paint colors, but that was never going to happen. Home Depot must know my husband and I by now because we have been there everyday it seems like since we started working. I had the guy in lighting say “You guys are still here!” No it was just our second trip in one day. Now we make a point to say hello to him. Anyway back to paint. We are living with multiple samples on the walls and I just can not decide. Adam cannot understand how I pick and plan other projects, but can not decide for ours. The struggle is real! I just cannot decide! I am fine with it because I really do not remember what we have. I need our furniture! It has been eleven months of having 80% of our furniture and décor in boxes at family members houses. Ok I am getting off my soapbox, back to the house. We now have floors.
They started on day 11 and finished in 3 days. Adam really wanted to put them in himself, but decided against it when he realize how fast it could be done. Either way I would have been happy. They are beautiful!! We did not want them to be to dark, but still wanted warm colors so this is what we picked. They are Shaw laminate flooring called Degu in the color Logger. Did I say I love them! It completely changed the way the house looks. We shopped around a little and decided that we wanted a local company to install them. We went with Glendora Floor Store located in Downtown Glendora. Everyone we working with there was so helpful and knowledgeable. They new we wanted to move quickly and made it happen. A big THANK YOU to Jerry and the team.
I have no idea what we will be working on next week but come back and see.
Friday March 24, we closed on our first house in my hometown. Our house is 1400 sqft, and was built in 1961. It has three bedrooms and two bathrooms to the right after you walk in the door. The living room, dinning room, kitchen, and laundry (yes, laundry room!) are on the other side of the house. Now that it has been a week of homeownership I thought I should start a diary of our progress.
We are not updating the kitchen yet, so that was the first task. Clean and organize the kitchen. Well that was a bigger task than I thought it could be. The cabinets were gross and needed to be scrubbed not just wiped and degreased, but scrubbed, but it was a great way to start moving into our new home. We did not have the space in our apartment to unpack and use all the gifts from our wedding, and had forgotten a lot of the gifts over the last couple of years. It was like Christmas morning opening everything.
Day 2 and 3
We were determined this day for the smell coming from the 30+ year old carpet to not torment us anymore. I tried for days to use my diffuser and essential oils with no luck. In normal circumstances it totally works, but this was more of a band aid. My dad and husband drug out the carpet and it was like the smell was never there.
At this point we had a different problem, Formica tile, in brown. We had planned to polish up the concrete foundation, but the mastic, glue most likely with asbestos, changed all that. Now we are waiting to have floors, put in to contain this awful fiber. But more about the floors on next week’s diary.
Day 4 and 5
After taking out all the baseboards and carpet it was time to tackle the popcorn ceiling. Luckily after testing the ceilings, the results were negative. So we got right to work. Now this job took an army. We had my parents, and friends Rob and Kalyn help us. Let me tell you we watched many YouTube videos and took lots of notes, but they did not really help. We taped the walls in the first room, bought the scrapped that is meant for popcorn ceilings, sprayed with water and started to work. Well there was too much give in the in the scrapper so it took a very long time to remove even a small amount. So we moved on to something else. I had purchased a scrapper for the floor and that worked so much better. It came off in sheets. Well we decided not to cover the wall with plastic, but we did cover the floor so clean up was easier. What a dusty day.
Check in next week for new projects and updates.